Most Portland riot suspects won’t be prosecuted, US attorney reveals
David Bouchard admitted he put a Customs and Border Protection officer in a chokehold. Charles Comfort was indicted by a grand jury of civil disorder for twice charging at Portland Police Bureau officers and hitting them with a makeshift shield then kicking a third officer while being arrested. Both men faced federal charges stemming from their actions during a summer of more than 100 straight nights of often violent protests in Portland. But Bouchard and Comfort are among dozens of Portland federal arrestees whose cases were dismissed or are being deferred without so much as a day behind bars.
Between May 25 and Oct. 7, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Oregon filed federal charges against 97 people connected to the Portland unrest. Since then 58 of those cases have either been dismissed outright or are on track for dismissal through a deferred resolution agreement. Thirty-two cases are still pending, with many likely to also end in dismissal according to sources. Seven people have entered guilty pleas.
Of those pleading guilty, only one person is headed to prison, and he was caught red-handed. Security video shows Edward Schinzing setting fire to the Justice Center with his shirt off and his name tattooed on his back. A plea deal calls for Schinzing to serve the five-year mandatory minimum sentence for arson.
“It’s offensive to all the men and women who risked their lives in Portland for 90 to 120 days or even longer in some cases, being attacked night after night after night,” said Chad Wolf, the acting Secretary of Homeland Security under President Trump.
Former federal prosecutor Alex Little says the Oregon U.S. Attorney’s Office was most likely overwhelmed.
“The prosecutors in that office, the number of prosecutors, that support, even the courthouse system, isn’t really set up to handle those sorts of numbers,” said Little.
Lisa Hay, the federal public defender in Oregon, has a slightly different take on the high number of cases being dismissed.
“I think the federal government went overboard in some of the ways they addressed these protests,” said Hay, “And what we’re seeing now is many of the cases that were brought because of the federal government’s overreach are now being dismissed.”
More Top Stories
Former President Donald Trump reacted to Facebook’s move to uphold the suspension of his account, arguing that Big Tech firms are working to censor Americans.read more
President Joe Biden’s administration and the Department of Justice are reportedly preparing to challenge bills banning biological males from women’s sports, multiple sources told the …read more
President Joe Biden’s American Families Plan is more expensive than the White House said and would trigger negative growth, according to an economic analysis.read more
U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security, Alejandro Mayorkas, on Tuesday told the annual Washington Conference on the Americas the Western Hemisphere should not see borders as …read more
A renewed Republican drive to oust U.S. Representative Liz Cheney as a party leader for criticizing former President Donald Trump’s false claims about the 2020 …read more
U.S. private payrolls surged by the most in seven months in April as companies rushed to boost production amid a surge in demand, suggesting the …read more