Top 8 Reasons you should add pears to your diet (recipe included)
The humble pear is often snubbed for more popular fruits like apples. But this hourglass-shaped superfruit can still hold its own when it comes to its nutrition profile and health benefits.
So move over apples. Here’s what pears have to offer:
- Pears contain nutrients – Pears are rich in vitamin C, giving you 10 percent of the vitamin C you need each day per piece. One pear also has 18 percent of the daily recommended value of fiber, eight percent of the daily recommended value of vitamin K and six percent of the daily recommended value of copper.
- Pears combat inflammation – Pears are packed with powerful antioxidants. These compounds aid in reducing inflammation, which can lead to chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease if left unchecked.
- Pears help control blood sugar – Pears are naturally sweet. But unlike sodas and sweets, pears don’t cause your blood sugar levels to spike. On the contrary, they help stabilize your blood sugar levels. This is why pears and other naturally sweet fruits like apples are considered healthy to eat for diabetics.
- Pears aid in weight management – Pears help you lose extra weight and keep it off for good. Thanks to their high fiber content, pears can keep you feeling full for longer periods. As a result, you’re less likely to snack in between meals or overeat at the next one.
- Pears help stall aging – Pears and other fruits filled with antioxidants reign supreme when it comes to slowing aging. That’s because antioxidants protect cells from the harmful effects of free radicals. Previous research has linked free radicals to aging and a host of diseases.
- Pears support gut health – Fiber plays a key role in keeping food moving smoothly along your system and promoting regular bowel movement. Fiber also serves as food for the “good” bacteria in your gut that support digestion and clear your intestines of any harmful foodborne microbes.
- Pears slash cancer risk – Some studies suggest that pears have promising anti-cancer benefits. That’s likely due to pears’ antioxidant content since cell damage caused by free radicals is also linked to cancer.
- Pears are versatile – Pears aren’t just for snacking or for baking into pies. These versatile fruits can be enjoyed in both sweet and savory dishes. Try topping your grain bowl with sliced pears for breakfast. You can also roast pears with onions for a healthy side, or pop spiced pears in the oven for a quick dessert.
Gluten-free pear oatmeal bars recipe
Pears are sweet enough to kick sugar cravings. But instead of just nibbling on plain old pears, level things up by making some hunger-busting pear oatmeal bars using only the healthiest ingredients.
Ingredients for 16 bars:
- 4 medium pears
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper. Leave an inch or two of overhang on all sides.
- To a blender, add 2 pears. Blend until smooth. This should make 1 cup of pear puree.
- In a bowl, mix the puree with applesauce, almond butter and vanilla extract. Then, add cinnamon, baking powder, oat flour, rolled oats, ginger and clove.
- Peel and dice the remaining pears, then add them to the bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool before slicing into 16 bars. Serve.
Pears are a nutrient powerhouse with a long list of impressive benefits to their name. So the next time you shop for fruits, skip the apples and grab yourself a couple of sweet, nutritious pears!
More Top Stories
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) raised alarm over what he saw as “a pattern of a systemic decision” from the Biden administration to “embrace” communist China.read more
U.S. private employers hired fewer workers than expected in February, suggesting the labor market was struggling to regain speed despite the an nation’s improving public …read more
Parler LLC has dropped its case against Amazon.com Inc for cutting off web-hosting services for the social media firm, according to court documents from late …read more
The U.S. Senate is expected to take up President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package on Wednesday, with fellow Democrats seeking to advance key …read more
The U.S. state of Michigan on Tuesday announced a loosening of its coronavirus restrictions, allowing larger gatherings and easing limits on capacity for restaurants and …read more
Texas Governor Greg Abbott issued the most sweeping rollback of coronavirus restrictions of any U.S. state on Tuesday, lifting a mask mandate and saying most …read more