Motor racing-McLaren interested in Formula E once Gen3 car comes in
By Alan Baldwin
(Reuters) – McLaren are interested in entering Formula E once the company’s battery supply contract ends in 2022 and the electric series introduces its Gen3 car, McLaren Racing chief executive Zak Brown said on Saturday.
McLaren Applied Technologies is the exclusive battery supplier until 2022. Williams Advanced Engineering has the next contract.
“We’ve been precluded from competing in Formula E because we were the battery supplier, so within that FIA tender we’re not allowed to compete as a team,” Brown told reporters at Formula One’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
“With the new generation car coming in 2023, and us no longer being the exclusive battery supplier, that’s a racing series that we find very interesting.”
Formula E, an official FIA world championship, has a strong manufacturer interest despite recent announcements by BMW and Audi that they would be leaving at the end of next year.
Formula E chairman Alejandro Agag told Reuters last week the exits would potentially free up only one slot in the 12-team series, however, since BMW were technical partners of entry holders Andretti Motorsport.
Brown said the departures had created an opportunity and electrification and sustainability were important to McLaren.
“Having 10 teams, that’s still a very strong field so I see it as more opportunity…it’s deep with manufacturer support, so I’m ultimately not concerned,” said Brown, who welcomed a planned budget cap to rein in costs.
McLaren are also involved in IndyCar and interested in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) and its highlight 24 Hours of Le Mans.
“Those two series (WEC and Formula E) have our attention, and we want to get through this season, we want to make sure that anything we do is not a distraction to our Formula One efforts,” Brown said.
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Ed Osmond)
More Top Stories
Mike Lindell Starts Private Investigation Into Fox News for Not Letting Him Report on Election Fraud
My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell said that he has employed private investigators to probe into Fox News because the outlet, according to him, rejected the …read more
Nearly 40% of US Marines Have Declined Covid-19 Vaccine, Mainly Over Fears it Was Developed Too Quickly
Approximately 40% of US Marines has declined the Covid-19 vaccine.read more
COVID-1984: Only Vaccinated People Can Be Evacuated From Island to Escape Volcano, Says Prime Minister
Unvaccinated people in Caribbean already being treated as second-class citizensread more
A majority of Democrats support employers requiring employees to receive a coronavirus vaccination before returning to work, a Politico/Morning Consult survey released Friday showed.read more
Nat’l Guard Association Chair: Up to 50 Migrants a Day Being Released into Communities with Less Than 1,000 People in Them
National Guard Association Chairman Michael McGuire said that due to crowding in migrant facilities, Customs and Border Protection are releasing “up to 50 personnel per …read more