Trump administration can cut drug subsidies to hospitals: U.S. court
By Nate Raymond
(Reuters) – A divided U.S. appeals court on Friday ruled the Trump administration had the authority to reduce subsidies Medicare pays certain hospitals to obtain discounted pharmaceutical medications.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit by a 2-1 vote overturned a judge’s decision that the administration lacked authority to cut such payments by $1.6 billion in 2018.
The cuts reduced subsidies for purchases by nonprofit hospitals of outpatient drugs bought through the 340B Drug Pricing Program, which allows them to buy medications at steep discounts and seek reimbursement.
A 2017 rule by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services sought to address a gap between the discounted drug prices and the reimbursement rate that gave hospitals a substantial profit margin.
The American Hospital Association and hospitals sued, arguing HHS’ 28.5% rate cut rested on an impermissible interpretation of the statute governing Medicare, the government healthcare program for people aged 65 and older.
U.S. Circuit Judge Sri Srinivasan, writing for the majority, said “HHS’s decision to lower drug reimbursement rates for 340B hospitals rests on a reasonable interpretation of the Medicare statute.”
U.S. Circuit Judge Cornelia Pillard dissented, saying the statute did not allow HHS to “take a major bite” out of funding for “financially strapped, public and nonprofit safety-net hospitals serving vulnerable populations.”
HHS Secretary Alex Azar called the ruling a “major victory for President Trump’s agenda of lower drug prices and better healthcare for all Americans.”
The American Hospital Association called on the administration to reverse the “harmful policy.”
Republican President Donald Trump’s administration has argued the payment system in place before the rate cuts led to unnecessarily high Medicare spending on prescription drugs.
It again cut the reimbursement rate for 2019, though U.S. District Judge Rudolph Contreras last year held that the change, like the 2018 ones, was unlawful.
(Reporting by Nate Raymond in Boston; Editing by Richard Chang and Jonathan Oatis)
More Top Stories
Across 20 major cities, the murder rate at the end of June was on average 37 percent higher than it was at the end of …read more
‘At no time in recent memory has a presidential nominee’s physical and mental health been more important,’ professor saysread more
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and his new running mate, Senator Kamala Harris, will make their first appearance as a ticket on Wednesday in Wilmington, …read more
Exclusive: Trump administration asks court to dismiss Big Tech’s challenge to social media executive order
The Trump administration has filed a motion asking a court to dismiss a lawsuit against the president’s executive order targeting social media companies, calling it …read more
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Wednesday that the White House and top Democrats in Congress may not be able to reach a deal …read more