Lawsuit filed over girl’s injuries at Las Vegas shooting range
A father claims the negligence of a Las Vegas shooting range employee led to an accidental shooting last year that “severely injured” his 10-year-old daughter.
Details of the Oct. 8, 2018, shooting were outlined in a lawsuit filed last week in Clark County District Court on behalf of Diego Prado, who is acting as a representative for his daughter, Emily. Henderson Defense Industries, a limited liability company that owns and operates Battlefield Vegas, is named as a defendant in the suit.
“Despite assuring Plaintiff and her father that the employee would, at all the times, be in physical control of the rifle, the employee unexpectedly removed his hands from the rifle causing Plaintiff to lose control and drop the rifle which then discharged ammunition rounds,” the lawsuit states.
Las Vegas police call logs show that officers were called to Battlefield Vegas shortly after 9 p.m. on that date to investigate a report of a “sick or injured person.” A police spokeswoman said she could not immediately provide additional information on Monday.
Battlefield Vegas, located just northwest of the Strip at 2771 Sammy Davis Jr. Drive, touts itself as “the ultimate shooting range” in Las Vegas on its website.
State business records show that Henderson Defense Industries is managed by Ron and Karla Cheney. Attempts to reach them on Monday for comment were unsuccessful.
According to the lawsuit, the owners failed to maintain “reasonably safe” conditions in the shooting range by allowing an “inexperienced” and “incompetent” employee to monitor and supervise a 10-year-old guest.
More Top Stories
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was admitted to a hospital on Tuesday morning for treatment of a possible infection, a court spokeswoman said.read more
Moderna Inc’s experimental vaccine for COVID-19 showed it was safe and provoked immune responses in all 45 healthy volunteers in an ongoing early-stage study, U.S. …read more
A U.S. judge is expected to decide on Tuesday whether to grant bail to Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein’s longtime associate, who has been charged with …read more
The Trump administration decided to drop its bid to bar some students that would force international students to leave the country if all their coursework …read more
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he is not interested in talking to China about a Phase 2 trade deal.read more
As the debate rages over how to safely reopen U.S. schools this autumn, one factor weighs heavily: the nation’s 98,000 public “K-12” schools are a …read more