Recipe: Fiber-rich carrot, ginger and pear soup
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 pear (peeled if not organic), diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups bone broth
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- Coconut milk, for garnish
- Sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- In a soup pot, heat oil on medium.
- Add the carrots and onions. Cook until onions turn translucent. This usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the pear and cook for about five minutes or until it softens.
- Add the bone broth and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add the grated ginger and blend in a blender in batches or with an immersion blender. Take note that when blending hot liquids, ensure that the top of the blender is vented to let the steam out.
- If using a blender, return to the pot; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm. Add a dollop of coconut milk if you want
This recipe was shared by Izabella Wentz, author of the cookbook Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology. Wentz was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism or a thyroid deficiency, at the age of 27. In her cookbook, she shares a comprehensive guide to eating in a way that improves thyroid health and the immune system. Taking care of your gut is key to good health, in general, but it is even more important for those with thyroid problems.
More Top Stories
U.S. President Donald Trump was scheduled to meet with his top law enforcement officer behind closed doors on Monday as cities nationwide awoke from a …read more
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Monday called for a national ban on chokeholds and excessive force by police and said he was concerned violent …read more
Gilead Sciences Inc on Monday reported that its antiviral drug remdesivir provided a modest benefit in patients with moderate COVID-19 given a five-day course of …read more
With cities across the United States in turmoil over the death of George Floyd, a U.S. lawmaker plans to introduce legislation this week to eliminate …read more
An active duty military police battalion consisting of 200 to 250 military personnel is now in the process of deploying to Washington, DCread more