Recipe: Fiber-rich carrot, ginger and pear soup
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 pear (peeled if not organic), diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups bone broth
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- Coconut milk, for garnish
- Sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- In a soup pot, heat oil on medium.
- Add the carrots and onions. Cook until onions turn translucent. This usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the pear and cook for about five minutes or until it softens.
- Add the bone broth and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add the grated ginger and blend in a blender in batches or with an immersion blender. Take note that when blending hot liquids, ensure that the top of the blender is vented to let the steam out.
- If using a blender, return to the pot; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm. Add a dollop of coconut milk if you want
This recipe was shared by Izabella Wentz, author of the cookbook Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology. Wentz was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism or a thyroid deficiency, at the age of 27. In her cookbook, she shares a comprehensive guide to eating in a way that improves thyroid health and the immune system. Taking care of your gut is key to good health, in general, but it is even more important for those with thyroid problems.
More Top Stories
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died of cancer on Friday evening, the court said in a statement.read more
The U.S. Commerce Department plans to issue an order Friday that will bar people in the United States from downloading Chinese-owned messaging app WeChat and …read more
President Donald Trump and his Democratic opponent, Joe Biden, will both travel to the key Midwestern state of Minnesota on Friday, as early voting begins …read more
A California firefighter was reported on Friday to have been killed in a blaze that started at a gender reveal party, as rainy weather brought …read more
U.S. President Donald Trump offered to pardon Julian Assange if the WikiLeaks founder provided the source for the hacking of Democratic National Committee emails before …read more