Recipe: Fiber-rich carrot, ginger and pear soup
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 pear (peeled if not organic), diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups bone broth
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- Coconut milk, for garnish
- Sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
- In a soup pot, heat oil on medium.
- Add the carrots and onions. Cook until onions turn translucent. This usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the pear and cook for about five minutes or until it softens.
- Add the bone broth and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add the grated ginger and blend in a blender in batches or with an immersion blender. Take note that when blending hot liquids, ensure that the top of the blender is vented to let the steam out.
- If using a blender, return to the pot; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm. Add a dollop of coconut milk if you want
This recipe was shared by Izabella Wentz, author of the cookbook Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology. Wentz was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease, which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism or a thyroid deficiency, at the age of 27. In her cookbook, she shares a comprehensive guide to eating in a way that improves thyroid health and the immune system. Taking care of your gut is key to good health, in general, but it is even more important for those with thyroid problems.
More Top Stories
More than two dozen people were feared missing on Tuesday, a day after a volcano that is a tourist attraction suddenly erupted off the coast …read more
Russia was banned from the Olympics and world championships in a range of sports for four years on Monday after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) …read more
The U.S. Justice Department’s internal watchdog is expected to announce on Monday that the FBI, despite some mistakes, was legally justified in 2016 in opening …read more
Bombshell report reveals US officials misled public about Afghanistan warread more
A U.S. congressional panel leading the impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump will debate the evidence against him on Monday, with Democratic lawmakers poised to …read more
College-educated workers are taking over the American factory floor.read more