Morgan plans to play in 2020 Olympics despite pregnancy timing
United States star Alex Morgan said she plans to play in the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo despite the timing of giving birth to her first child.
Morgan is expecting a baby girl in April, approximately three months before the start of the Olympics.
“I hope to get back on the field as soon as possible,” Morgan told USA Today. “After having a healthy baby, I want to get back with the national team and look forward to playing in Tokyo.”
The 30-year-old Morgan announced she was pregnant two weeks ago on various social-media accounts, along with husband Servando Carrasco.
Morgan said she has no doubt she still will be an elite performer after having a child.
“There are so many women that have been able to come back to their respective sport after pregnancy and continue to have a successful family while playing their sport that they love at the highest level,” Morgan said. “I plan to follow in those footsteps and be one of those women who have a family and carry my daughter around as I’m going to the next city to play. And I still want to continue to enjoy the sport that I’ve been playing for all my life.”
Morgan excelled in the Women’s World Cup earlier this year, scoring six goals to help the U.S. win the title.
Overall, Morgan has 107 international goals in 169 matches.
Carrasco is a midfielder for the Los Angeles Galaxy. He and Morgan met when both were college soccer players at Cal. They married in 2014.
–Field Level Media
More Top Stories
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was admitted to a hospital on Tuesday morning for treatment of a possible infection, a court spokeswoman said.read more
Moderna Inc’s experimental vaccine for COVID-19 showed it was safe and provoked immune responses in all 45 healthy volunteers in an ongoing early-stage study, U.S. …read more
A U.S. judge is expected to decide on Tuesday whether to grant bail to Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein’s longtime associate, who has been charged with …read more
The Trump administration decided to drop its bid to bar some students that would force international students to leave the country if all their coursework …read more
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he is not interested in talking to China about a Phase 2 trade deal.read more
As the debate rages over how to safely reopen U.S. schools this autumn, one factor weighs heavily: the nation’s 98,000 public “K-12” schools are a …read more