Santa Anita suffers another horse death
(Reuters) – Santa Anita Park saw another horsing fatality on Saturday when Emtech, a 3-year-old colt, sustained injury and had to be euthanized.
The horse went down in the middle of the track during the fall meet, throwing off jockey Mario Gutierrez. He walked away uninjured.
“As is protocol at Santa Anita, we will open an immediate review into what factors could have contributed to Emtech’s injury,” Dr. Dionne Benson, chief veterinarian of the Stronach Group, told the LA Times.
“Santa Anita will work closely with the California Horse Racing Board and will continue to brief our stakeholders and all of our constituents, including the public, as more facts come in.”
Santa Anita Park canceled racing for more than three weeks in March following a series of fatalities at the renowned track.
Santa Anita hired a consultant to lead a study of the track surface and the California Horse Racing Board also investigated.
Racing was resumed with stronger medication rules, and limits to a jockey’s cushion crop use as a corrective safety measure only.
Santa Anita will host the Breeders’ Cup in November.
(Writing by Jahmal Corner in Los Angeles; Editing by Stephen Coates)
More Top Stories
U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday blasted proposed restrictions on trade with China and said national security cannot be used as an “excuse” to make …read more
Shares of Apple Inc fell 2 % on Tuesday and dragged the stocks of its suppliers across the globe lower, after the iPhone maker warned …read more
President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he has total confidence in U.S. Attorney General William Barr, who last week said in an interview that Trump’s …read more
The Trump administration said on Tuesday said it will begin treating five major Chinese state-run media entities with U.S. operations the same as foreign embassies, …read more
President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he had commuted the sentence of Rod Blagojevich, the former Democratic governor of Illinois convicted of corruption for trying …read more
The number of new coronavirus infections in mainland China fell below 2,000 on Tuesday for the first time since January, Chinese health officials said, although …read more