KCC rejects $93 million Westar Energy rate hike
The Kansas Corporation Commission has denied a request from Westar Energy that would’ve cost its customers about $93 million.
The request called for Westar’s customers to bear the cost of the company’s seven-month lease and subsequent purchase of an 8-percent interest in Jeffrey Energy Center (JEC), located near St. Mary’s.
“Had it been approved, the cost to ratepayers would have amounted to approximately $93 million in increased rates over the next 15 years,” the KCC explains.
In rejecting Westar’s request, the KCC says Westar failed to meet its burden to show that the lease and purchase agreement “was a prudent decision for its retail customers and that Westar entered into the agreement knowing it did not need the 8 percent portion of JEC to satisfy its capacity requirements and the settlement agreement would increase customers’ rates.”
Prior to Westar’s August purchase of the 8-percent interest in JEC, Westar and Kansas City Power & Light owned 92 percent of the center. Midwest Power Company owned the remaining 8 percent and leased that percentage to Westar, the KCC explains.
“The lease and purchase agreements both expired on Jan. 3, 2019. Westar then opted fro a new lease and subsequent purchase of the 8 percent and asked the Commission to approve the recovery of costs through its Retail Energy Cost Adjustment (RECA) which is included in customer rates,” the KCC says.
Source: KWCH 12 TV Wichita, Kansas.
More Top Stories
EDITOR’S NOTE: THE ELECTION RESULTS ARE BEING DISPUTED. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS ARTICLE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF yourNEWS.read more
Trump’s legal team signals Pa. challenge will go to Supreme Court after appeals bench dismisses suit
“The activist judicial machinery in Pennsylvania continues to cover up the allegations of massive fraud.”read more
Though Dems have long criticized anonymous money in politics, this latest election cycle saw a wave of it flow into and fill up Democratic Party …read more
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) warned on Friday that the left will target Christmas next and discourage people from gathering as they did with Thanksgiving and …read more
From Walmart Inc to Best Buy, retailers have overhauled Black Friday shopping, with some assigning clerks in orange vests to serve as traffic cops, taking …read more