5 Healing herbs and supplements that can help ease anxiety and boost thyroid health
(Natural News) One of the reasons why you feel anxious and sick is because you have too much of the stress hormone cortisol — which can wreak havoc on your thyroid and increase the risk of various health problems like anxiety. Here are some herbs and supplements that can regulate your cortisol levels.
- Valerian root: Valerian root is used in herbal medicine for its ability to induce sleep. It works by regulating neurotransmitters in the brain and reducing anxiety and insomnia caused by stress. This herb is not habit-forming and can help address many types of sleep issues, such as poor sleep quality. (Related: Optimal Levels of Cortisol, Insulin and Thyroid are Essential to Vibrant Health.)
- Lavender: Using lavender essential oil in aromatherapy can help regulate your stress levels. The scent of lavender has a calming effect. A study published in the journal Early Human Development suggested that the scent of lavender essential oil promotes sleep and reduces stress. In the study, researchers bathed infants with or without lavender-scented bath oil. The mothers in the lavender bath oil group were more relaxed and smiled and touched their infants more during the bath. Their children looked at them a higher percentage of the bath time, cried less, and spent more time in deep sleep after the bath. In addition, the cortisol levels of both the mothers and infants in this group dramatically declined, increasing the relaxation of the mothers and their infants. Lavender aromatherapy is also safe, natural, easy, and does not interact with medication or other supplements. In addition to baths, you can also diffuse lavender essential oil in your room while you sleep or at your desk while you work.
- Fish oil: Fish oil supplements, which contain omega-3 fatty acids, can also help in decreasing cortisol levels. In addition, fish oil supplements are well-known for their ability to keep the heart healthy and fight inflammation. Not all fish oil supplements are made equally, so make sure that the supplement you will choose is sourced from wild-caught fish and does not contain fillers.
- L-theanine: L-theanine is an amino acid that can be found in green tea and matcha. This amino acid is known to be effective in reducing anxiety because of its ability to reduce cortisol levels during and after stress. Avoid taking l-theanine during daytime and take it before bed instead because it can make you feel very relaxed and even sleepy. For best results, take it regularly to have lowered cortisol levels the next day.
- Multivitamins: People dealing with chronic stress and cortisol problems may benefit from taking daily multivitamins. When choosing a multivitamin supplement, choose one that has more B vitamins. A study published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine found that micronutrient supplementation improves perceived stress, mild psychiatric symptoms, and mood, and those that contain more B vitamins may be more effective in improving mood.
100% organic essential oil sets now available for your home and personal care, including Rosemary, Oregano, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Clary Sage and more, all 100% organic and laboratory tested for safety. A multitude of uses, from stress reduction to topical first aid. See the complete listing here, and help support this news site.
Cortisol is good for the body when it is in balance, and sometimes high cortisol occurs because of the body’s natural response to threats of harm or danger. However, having high cortisol over a longer period can be harmful to your health and outweighs its good effects. High levels of cortisol also negatively affect metabolism and the growth and development of the body. Here are some of the general signs and symptoms of too much cortisol:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Easy bruising
- Flushed face
- High blood pressure
- Muscle weakness
- Severe fatigue
- Slowed healing
- Thinning skin
- Weight gain
Learn more ways on how to deal with stress naturally at HealingArts.news.
More Top Stories
U.S. protests over the death of a black man in custody dwindled overnight into early Thursday after prosecutors leveled new charges against four Minneapolis policemen …read more
U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr will hold a news conference at 12:30 p.m. (1630 GMT) on Thursday, the U.S. Justice Department said in a statement.read more
The death of George Floyd while in Minneapolis police custody and the protests that followed have stirred both Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. Congress …read more
A U.S. warship sailed through the sensitive Taiwan Strait on Thursday, the U.S. and Taiwanese militaries said, on the same day as the 31st anniversary …read more
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday is expected to sign an executive order that would give federal agencies emergency powers to fast-track major energy and …read more
German agrochemicals group Bayer AG has been blocked from selling its dicamba herbicide in the United States after an appeals court rejected a federal regulator’s …read more