Farah not distracted by Gebrselassie dispute despite marathon disappointment
By Peter Hall
LONDON (Reuters) – Britain’s Mo Farah said his dispute with Ethiopian distance-running great Haile Gebrselassie did not act as a distraction ahead of Sunday’s London Marathon in which he finished a disappointing fifth.
Farah had been tipped to challenge Eliud Kipchoge for the title but after running the first 30 kilometers in a British record time, he fell away in the latter stages.
He finished over three minutes behind Kenyan great Kipchoge, who won his fourth London Marathon in five years.
Farah’s preparations were overshadowed by his public dispute with Gebrselassie, with the Briton unhappy that he did not receive help from Gebrselassie after he was robbed at a hotel in Addis Ababa owned by the Ethiopian.
Gebrselassie, a former world record holder and current president of the Ethiopian Athletics Federation, said the matter was immediately reported to police, who interviewed five hotel employees but decided not to bring charges against any of them.
The episode dominated the news in the run-up to the Sunday’s race, but Farah said he retained his focus despite having failed to challenge for the lead throughout.
“I didn’t think the fuss affected my run and I wasn’t distracted by the build up,” Farah said. “It was all about London today and so I put my head down, did my best.
“I don’t regret anything I said and I respect the race.
“My aim was to reel them back once the pacemaker dropped out but wasn’t able to. I am disappointed as training went well.”
Farah also said he is yet to decide which race he will commit to in the upcoming World Championships in Qatar, where he could compete in either the marathon or 10,000 meters.
“At the minute my brain is all over the place,” he added. “I am going to have a chat with my coach and my agent and have a step back.
“I think for me I want to do a marathon. I gave it my all, I was aiming to run a low 2:04 but that is what it was.”
(Reporting by Peter Hall; Editing by Toby Davis)
More Top Stories
Iran said it would announce additional steps to reduce its commitments under the 2015 international nuclear pact, which Washington withdrew from last year, Tasnim news …read more
The United States is stepping up digital incursions into Russia’s electric power gridread more
The United Kingdom will send elite forces to the Gulf of Oman to protect its warships amid rising tensions with Iran, according to The Sunday …read more
“Central American migrants are rushing to enter Mexico ahead of a security crackdown on the country’s southern border .”read more
Group of 20 environment ministers agreed on Sunday to adopt a new implementation framework for actions to tackle the issue of marine plastic waste on …read more
The United States has underestimated the Chinese people’s will to fight a trade war and Beijing is prepared for a long economic battle, an influential …read more