Kombucha may prevent high blood pressure and enhance liver function
A review shows that kombucha, a fermented beverage, can protect against cardiovascular diseases and promote liver health. The study, which was published in the CyTA – Journal of Food, assessed the health benefits of kombucha.
- Kombucha is made by fermenting sugared tea with a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts.
- Consuming kombucha has been linked to some health benefits on cholesterol levels, blood pressure, the liver, immune system, and gastrointestinal functions, and cancer prevention.
- Researchers from the University of Monterrey in Mexico and the National Institute of Technology Rourkela in India have found that bacteria in kombucha belongs to the genus Acetobacter and Gluconobacter, and the yeasts of the genus Saccharomyces contribute to health protection.
- Kombucha also contains glucuronic acid and polyphenols.
- The health benefits of kombucha consumption can be attributed to its bioactive compounds that work together.
- Its protective effect against the onset of cardiovascular diseases is primarily due to its polyphenol content that prevents the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, controls cholesterol metabolism, and inhibits high blood pressure by encouraging smooth muscle relaxation.
- The glucuronic acid content of kombucha also contributes to xenobiotic liver detoxification and endobiotic elimination, which potentially improves liver functions.
In conclusion, the findings suggest that kombucha is a healthy beverage that is good for the heart and liver.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more studies on healthy food and drinks, visit FoodCures.news.
Martínez Leal J, Valenzuela Suárez L, Jayabalan R, Huerta Oros J, Escalante-Aburto A. A REVIEW ON HEALTH BENEFITS OF KOMBUCHA NUTRITIONAL COMPOUNDS AND METABOLITES. CyTA – Journal of Food. 2018; 16(1): 390-399. DOI: 10.1080/19476337.2017.1410499
More Top Stories
Seven suicide bombers took part in the devastating attacks on churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka that killed 290 people and wounded more than …read more
U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for the 2020 presidential election, wants to cancel billions of dollars in student loan debt …read more
Seth Moulton, an Iraq War veteran and Democratic congressman from Massachusetts, entered the 2020 presidential nomination contest on Monday, swelling the ranks of declared contenders …read more
Mexico said on Saturday it had “deep concern” about armed groups that intimidate and extort migrants on the border, shortly after the ACLU and Democratic …read more
An array of U.S. companies have told the Trump administration that a citizenship question on the 2020 Census would harm business if it leads to …read more
As the net gain in U.S. births vs. deaths wanes, immigrants continue to be a main source for maintaining population growth.read more