Kombucha may prevent high blood pressure and enhance liver function
A review shows that kombucha, a fermented beverage, can protect against cardiovascular diseases and promote liver health. The study, which was published in the CyTA – Journal of Food, assessed the health benefits of kombucha.
- Kombucha is made by fermenting sugared tea with a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts.
- Consuming kombucha has been linked to some health benefits on cholesterol levels, blood pressure, the liver, immune system, and gastrointestinal functions, and cancer prevention.
- Researchers from the University of Monterrey in Mexico and the National Institute of Technology Rourkela in India have found that bacteria in kombucha belongs to the genus Acetobacter and Gluconobacter, and the yeasts of the genus Saccharomyces contribute to health protection.
- Kombucha also contains glucuronic acid and polyphenols.
- The health benefits of kombucha consumption can be attributed to its bioactive compounds that work together.
- Its protective effect against the onset of cardiovascular diseases is primarily due to its polyphenol content that prevents the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, controls cholesterol metabolism, and inhibits high blood pressure by encouraging smooth muscle relaxation.
- The glucuronic acid content of kombucha also contributes to xenobiotic liver detoxification and endobiotic elimination, which potentially improves liver functions.
In conclusion, the findings suggest that kombucha is a healthy beverage that is good for the heart and liver.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more studies on healthy food and drinks, visit FoodCures.news.
Martínez Leal J, Valenzuela Suárez L, Jayabalan R, Huerta Oros J, Escalante-Aburto A. A REVIEW ON HEALTH BENEFITS OF KOMBUCHA NUTRITIONAL COMPOUNDS AND METABOLITES. CyTA – Journal of Food. 2018; 16(1): 390-399. DOI: 10.1080/19476337.2017.1410499
More Top Stories
Top White House aides ignored repeated warnings they could be breaking the law as they worked with former U.S. officials and a close friend of …read more
President Donald Trump on Tuesday took a step toward creating a U.S. Space Force, a new branch of the military dedicated to handling threats in …read more
Roger Stone, a former political adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, was ordered on Tuesday to appear in court this week over Instagram posts that …read more
Bernie Sanders is back for another White House run, but this one promises to be far different than the improbable 2016 presidential campaign that made …read more
U.S. stocks were set to dip at the open on Tuesday after rallying strongly last week, as investors focused on the latest round of trade …read more
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he wants North Korea to end its nuclear program, but has no pressing time schedule for this, as …read more