Kombucha may prevent high blood pressure and enhance liver function
A review shows that kombucha, a fermented beverage, can protect against cardiovascular diseases and promote liver health. The study, which was published in the CyTA – Journal of Food, assessed the health benefits of kombucha.
- Kombucha is made by fermenting sugared tea with a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts.
- Consuming kombucha has been linked to some health benefits on cholesterol levels, blood pressure, the liver, immune system, and gastrointestinal functions, and cancer prevention.
- Researchers from the University of Monterrey in Mexico and the National Institute of Technology Rourkela in India have found that bacteria in kombucha belongs to the genus Acetobacter and Gluconobacter, and the yeasts of the genus Saccharomyces contribute to health protection.
- Kombucha also contains glucuronic acid and polyphenols.
- The health benefits of kombucha consumption can be attributed to its bioactive compounds that work together.
- Its protective effect against the onset of cardiovascular diseases is primarily due to its polyphenol content that prevents the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, controls cholesterol metabolism, and inhibits high blood pressure by encouraging smooth muscle relaxation.
- The glucuronic acid content of kombucha also contributes to xenobiotic liver detoxification and endobiotic elimination, which potentially improves liver functions.
In conclusion, the findings suggest that kombucha is a healthy beverage that is good for the heart and liver.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more studies on healthy food and drinks, visit FoodCures.news.
Martínez Leal J, Valenzuela Suárez L, Jayabalan R, Huerta Oros J, Escalante-Aburto A. A REVIEW ON HEALTH BENEFITS OF KOMBUCHA NUTRITIONAL COMPOUNDS AND METABOLITES. CyTA – Journal of Food. 2018; 16(1): 390-399. DOI: 10.1080/19476337.2017.1410499
More Top Stories
Authorities in the main city of Indian Kashmir tightened security ahead of Friday prayers after separatists called for a protest march to a U.N. office, …read more
U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday said he has ordered American companies to exit China after Beijing unveiled retaliatory tariffs on $75 billion in U.S. …read more
The U.S. economy is in a “favorable place” and the Federal Reserve will “act as appropriate” to keep the current economic expansion on track, Fed …read more
President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign is hosting events in 2020 battleground states on Thursday to mobilize and train suburban women, an important voting bloc that …read more
Homecoming NSU parade to be held at 11am on a Saturdayread more
The Smithsonian Marine Ecosystems Exhibit at the St Lucie County Aquarium opened on Aug. 18, 2001 as a partnership between the Smithsonian National Museum of …read more