Replace harmful chemical cleaners with these essential oils
By Mary Miller
(Natural News) Harmful toxins are all around you. They often come in the form of pollutants, toxic pesticides, or harsh chemicals, but what you might not know is that some of these chemicals might already be present in your own home. Most chemical-based cleaning products tend to contain toxic substances that might negatively impact your health just as much as they can eliminate disease-causing microorganisms and bacteria.
Fortunately, there are natural ways to combat these microbes and bacteria. You can still safely clean your home using essential oils as effective replacements for your chemical-based cleaning products.
The best essential oils for cleaning purposes
Many essential oils possess powerful antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, and antifungal properties. These unique properties allow the oils to serve as natural and effective disinfectants. They are safer alternatives to commercial household cleaning products since they contain no harmful chemicals or toxins. Make the switch now and start cleaning your home with these useful essential oils:
- Lemon essential oil. There’s a reason why lemon extract is a common ingredient in many cleaning products. Due to its natural antiviral and antibacterial properties, this essential oil can help you keep your floors clean and eliminate grease and stubborn stains. Since it has a light, clean scent, you can use it to both deodorize and disinfect enclosed areas that don’t get much air circulation, such as closets and refrigerators.
- Lavender essential oil. This naturally antibacterial essential oil is one of the most versatile and best-smelling essential oils out there. You can mix four to five drops of lavender oil with a vinegar cleaning solution to help sanitize your home. You can even use it to make a homemade dish soap or linen spray to wash your dishes or keep your laundry smelling fresh.
- Tea tree essential oil. Use tea tree oil for a homemade hand soap to fight germs, bacteria, and viruses.
- Pine essential oil. If your bathroom is covered with stubborn mold and mildew, then pine essential oil might be just what you need. Use it to clean your bathroom floors and other hard surfaces where mold, mildew, yeast spores, and germs are likely to thrive.
- Thyme essential oil. One of the most powerful essential oils, thyme oil is a useful disinfectant against salmonella. If you have any cutting boards or utensils that have come into contact with raw meat, then you can sanitize them with a thyme oil-based homemade dish soap.
Why chemical cleaners can be harmful to your health
According to environmental experts, you can find over 60 toxic chemicals in your average household cleaning product. Some of these toxic chemicals may include phthalates, perchloroethylene, triclosan, sodium hydroxide, quarternary ammonium compounds, ammonia, chlorine, and 2-butoxyethanol. These harmful substances can easily be absorbed through your skin. Exposure to these dangerous chemicals might put your health at an even greater risk than the disease-causing bacteria and viruses that the chemicals are meant to fight. (Related: Many cleaning products, especially those billed as “antibacterial,” contain toxic chemicals that cause physical damage.)
These toxic ingredients and the cleaning products that use them are not required to meet any sort of safety standards. They are not bound to any federal safety regulations. Some of them might even release low levels of formaldehyde, a substance which may cause carcinogenic effects. As such, chronic exposure to these chemicals might lead to the development of various types of cancers, reproductive disorders, neurotoxicity, hormonal problems, asthma, and other respiratory conditions. In a study conducted in 2010, researchers observed pregnant women who worked cleaning jobs that regularly exposed them to these toxic chemicals. When their babies were born, the researchers noted an increased risk of birth defects associated with the exposure to the cleaning products.
100% organic essential oil sets now available for your home and personal care, including Rosemary, Oregano, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Clary Sage and more, all 100% organic and laboratory tested for safety. A multitude of uses, from stress reduction to topical first aid. See the complete listing here, and help support this news site.
More Top Stories
The Green New Deal blueprint introduced by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was crafted by three far-left organizationsread more
Liberal actor Jussie Smollett is accused of staging a racist and anti-gay attack on himself, which Smollett blamed on supporters of President Donald Trump.read more
Thirty-five percent of Americans name the government, poor leadership or politicians as the greatest problem facing the U.S.read more
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he wants North Korea to end its nuclear program, but has no pressing time schedule for this, as …read more
Top White House aides ignored repeated warnings they could be breaking the law as they worked with former U.S. officials and a close friend of …read more
President Donald Trump on Tuesday took a step toward creating a U.S. Space Force, a new branch of the military dedicated to handling threats in …read more