Studying the anticancer potential of the common plum
By Edsel Cook
(Natural News) A Pakistani study has evaluated the common plum with regards to its potential analgesic, antibacterial, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and urease-inhibiting properties. It determined that infusing the edible gum with stabilized gold and silver nanoparticles allowed it to target many different diseases, tissues, and cell types at the same time. The study was conducted by researchers from the Sarhad University of Science and Information Technology. They published their findings in the scientific journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Gold and silver nanoparticles were biosynthesized and characterized using various techniques. Edible gum was obtained from common plum trees as a delivery mechanism.
- The synthetic stability of the nanoparticles was analyzed against the gum and metal ion levels, reaction temperature, and time. They also studied the nanoparticles’ post-synthetic stability against different pH and saline conditions, extended storage periods, and extreme temperatures.
- The nanoparticle-infused gum was applied to HeLa cervical cancer cells, three different bacteria, jack-bean urease, mice with carrageenan-induced paw edema, and abdominal constriction response. Their anticancer, antibacterial, urease inhibition, anti-inflammatory, and antinociceptive activities were recorded.
- Gold and silver nanoparticles demonstrated anticancer potential. They selectively suppressed the growth of all three bacteria and inhibited jack-bean urease.
- Nanoparticle doses improved paw edema and carrageenan-induced inflammation better than gum alone. Similar nanoparticle dosages matched the effectiveness of the gum in reducing abdominal constriction.
The researchers concluded that nanoparticles integrated into the gum from the common plum possess an advantage in treating multigenic diseases that affect more than one type of tissue or cell.
The full text of the study can be read here.
Get more news about natural cures at NaturalCures.news.
Islam NU, Amin R, Shahid M, Amin M, Zaib S, Iqbal J. A MULTI-TARGET THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF PRUNUS DOMESTICA GUM STABILIZED NANOPARTICLES EXHIBITED PROSPECTIVE ANTICANCER, ANTIBACTERIAL, UREASE-INHIBITION, ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AND ANALGESIC PROPERTIES. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2017;17(1). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-017-1791-3.
More Top Stories
One America News Networkread more
Convoys of fire engines rumbled through the smoldering northern California town of Paradise on Tuesday on their way to combat still-active sections of the state’s …read more
Hundreds of Central American migrants planning to seek asylum in the United States moved toward the country’s border with Mexico on Tuesday as U.S. military …read more
Amazon.com Inc said on Tuesday it will build offices for up to 25,000 people in New York City’s Queens borough and in Northern Virginia, near …read more
An associate of Roger Stone, a longtime ally of U.S. President Donald Trump, said he was told by the U.S. special counsel probing Russian meddling …read more
The trial of accused Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman will begin with lawyers’ opening statements in a federal court in Brooklyn on Tuesday, …read more