Studying the anticancer potential of the common plum
By Edsel Cook
(Natural News) A Pakistani study has evaluated the common plum with regards to its potential analgesic, antibacterial, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and urease-inhibiting properties. It determined that infusing the edible gum with stabilized gold and silver nanoparticles allowed it to target many different diseases, tissues, and cell types at the same time. The study was conducted by researchers from the Sarhad University of Science and Information Technology. They published their findings in the scientific journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Gold and silver nanoparticles were biosynthesized and characterized using various techniques. Edible gum was obtained from common plum trees as a delivery mechanism.
- The synthetic stability of the nanoparticles was analyzed against the gum and metal ion levels, reaction temperature, and time. They also studied the nanoparticles’ post-synthetic stability against different pH and saline conditions, extended storage periods, and extreme temperatures.
- The nanoparticle-infused gum was applied to HeLa cervical cancer cells, three different bacteria, jack-bean urease, mice with carrageenan-induced paw edema, and abdominal constriction response. Their anticancer, antibacterial, urease inhibition, anti-inflammatory, and antinociceptive activities were recorded.
- Gold and silver nanoparticles demonstrated anticancer potential. They selectively suppressed the growth of all three bacteria and inhibited jack-bean urease.
- Nanoparticle doses improved paw edema and carrageenan-induced inflammation better than gum alone. Similar nanoparticle dosages matched the effectiveness of the gum in reducing abdominal constriction.
The researchers concluded that nanoparticles integrated into the gum from the common plum possess an advantage in treating multigenic diseases that affect more than one type of tissue or cell.
The full text of the study can be read here.
Get more news about natural cures at NaturalCures.news.
Islam NU, Amin R, Shahid M, Amin M, Zaib S, Iqbal J. A MULTI-TARGET THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF PRUNUS DOMESTICA GUM STABILIZED NANOPARTICLES EXHIBITED PROSPECTIVE ANTICANCER, ANTIBACTERIAL, UREASE-INHIBITION, ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AND ANALGESIC PROPERTIES. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2017;17(1). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-017-1791-3.
More Top Stories
Top White House aides ignored repeated warnings they could be breaking the law as they worked with former U.S. officials and a close friend of …read more
President Donald Trump on Tuesday took a step toward creating a U.S. Space Force, a new branch of the military dedicated to handling threats in …read more
Roger Stone, a former political adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, was ordered on Tuesday to appear in court this week over Instagram posts that …read more
Bernie Sanders is back for another White House run, but this one promises to be far different than the improbable 2016 presidential campaign that made …read more
U.S. stocks were set to dip at the open on Tuesday after rallying strongly last week, as investors focused on the latest round of trade …read more
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he wants North Korea to end its nuclear program, but has no pressing time schedule for this, as …read more